Which are the options to whiten teeth?
The tooth bleaching has as work precondition the existence of perfectly cleaned teeth (professional cleaning) and is done with a hydrogen peroxide-based gel. Depending on the used device, different peroxide concentrations will be used.
The method’s basic benefit is the significant colour modification in a very short period of time.
First of all, this proceeding implies the sequestration of the gum and, afterwards, application of a gel with a rather high-concentrated peroxide on the surface of the teeth, the action of which is enhanced by the action of a plasma lamp/dental laser.
In office tooth bleaching lasts about 20-30 minutes, depending on the system used. It is a quick method, which produces excellent results, but you have to take into account that no in office tooth whitening technique is sufficient, in order to get a sustainable effect, colour stabilising being subsequently conditioned by a whitening system at home, by using individualised mouth guards and a low-concentrated gel.
Many dentists share the opinion that the professional tooth bleaching systems for home may provide good results for a rather long period and allow getting gradually controlled whitening, depending on the desired bleaching level.
These easy-in-use systems are based on a low-concentrated hydrogen peroxide which applies in an individualised mouth guard made by a dental technician and which is put on the dental arches for about 2-3 hours or more (sometimes at night). Due to low-concentrated peroxide, the whitening gel may stay on the tooth surface for longer, without any risk.
Is there any limitation in tooth bleaching?
Everything relates to aesthetics!!!
The results of tooth whitening may be subjective, varying from one person to another. More people are instantly happy with the gained results, whereas the others are disappointed. Before starting any tooth bleaching treatment, it is recommended to consult a dentist, in order to get a true idea about the expected result and how long it will take to get the respective result. The expectations play a major role.
How the results gotten after tooth whitening may be kept longer?
In order to keep for longer the tooth bleaching effect, it is recommended:
1. to carry out a tooth whitening treatment at home once in a year;
2. to avoid meals and beverages which colour teeth, especially along a week after the tooth whitening procedure done;
3. to take care of the oral hygiene.
You must take into account a string of factors before using tooth whitening techniques:
1. No matter how big quantity of bleaching gel you will use, it will not help you to have white teeth, which is not natural;
2. Results of the tooth bleaching procedure may be fully seen in about 2 weeks after it. This is an important factor to be taken into account when you want a ceramics-based dental restoration and you also want it to suit the tooth bleaching procedure (obturations or crowns are not influenced by whitening substances);
3. Certain physiognomic obturations (fillings) should be replaced in order to have the same colour with the whitened teeth;
4. Often, due to gum retractions, the yellowish root is exposed, which proved to be difficult to whiten;
5. You also must wait up to a 2-week period after the tooth bleaching procedure, in order to make composite physiognomic fillings, as the residual peroxide might impede the gluing of the material to the structure of tooth;
6. Pregnant or breast feeding women are advised to postpone tooth whitening.